Dr. Sellers is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who practices at Southern Orthopaedic Surgeons based in Montgomery, Alabama. He specializes in hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder surgery. He has advanced training in minimally invasive techniques, including arthroscopy of the shoulder, elbow and wrist, as well as open surgery of the hand and upper extremity, including peripheral nerve and microsurgery. Dr. Sellers has a special interest in shoulder reconstruction, including anatomic and reverse total shoulder replacement. He is also well-trained in adult and pediatric orthopaedic trauma, including the management of acute injuries and fractures of the upper and lower extremity.
Dr. Sellers was born and raised in Montgomery, Alabama. He attended Washington & Lee University in Lexington, Virginia where he obtained a degree in Neuroscience and was selected to the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society. He returned to Alabama to obtain his medical degree from the University of Alabama School of Medicine in Birmingham where he was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. He completed his residency in Orthopedic Surgery at the University of South Florida / Florida Orthopaedic Institute in Tampa, Florida. He served as Administrative Chief Resident during his final year and received the Blaine Markee Outstanding Chief Resident Award. After residency, he passed Part 1 of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) certifying examination, scoring in the 96th percentile nationwide. He went on to complete a one-year fellowship in Hand and Upper Extremity surgery at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
During his residency training, Dr. Sellers had the opportunity to participate in the care of the University of South Florida athletic teams as well as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He also volunteered as team physician for several local Tampa Bay area high school football teams. His fellowship in Birmingham involved caring for collegiate athletes from UAB and the University of Alabama as well as several other colleges and high schools around the state of Alabama.
Dr. Sellers has been active in clinical and biomechanical research and has published original articles in several peer-reviewed orthopaedic journals, including The Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, The Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, The Journal of Children’s Orthopedics, The American Journal of Orthopaedics, Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine and Techniques in Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery.
Education / Post Graduate Training
- 8/2019 – 7/2020University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama
Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship
Director: Joseph Sherrill, MD
- 7/2014 – 6/2019University of South Florida / Florida Orthopaedic Institute, Tampa, Florida
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Chairman: Roy Sanders, MD
- 7/2010 – 6/2014University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama
Doctor of Medicine
- 9/2006 – 6/2010Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Virginia
Bachelor of Science, Neuroscience, magna cum laude
Alabama Medical License – MD.38314 (Issued 5/29/2019)
Professional Courses & Meetings
- USMLE Step 1 - Passed 4/24/2012
- USMLE Step 2 CK – Passed 11/21/2013
- USMLE Step 2 CS – Passed 12/19/2013
- USMLE Step 3 – Passed 8/3/2015
- ABOS Part 1 – Passed 7/11/2019
- ABOS Part 2 – Passed 7/20/22
Memberships & Committees
- 2021 – present Reviewer, Journal of Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
- 2021 – present Montgomery Surgical Center Credentialing Committee
- 2020 – present American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- 2018 – 2019 Administrative Chief Resident, USF Orthopaedic Residency Program
- 2016 – present American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- 2016 – present Arthroscopy Association of North America
- 2014 – present American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2010 – present American College of Physicians
- 2010 – 2014 Class Representative, UASOM Honor Council
Honors, Awards and Scholarships
- 2019 Dr. Blaine Markee Outstanding Chief Resident Award, USF Residency Program
- 2019 3rd Place, Best Paper, USF/FOI Orthopaedic Research Day
- 2018 – 2019 Chief Resident, USF Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 2018 American Orthopaedic Association, Resident Leadership Forum
- 2018 1st Place, Florida Orthopaedic Society Resident Competition (Ortho Bowl)
- 2017 Seth Gasser Award (Highest OITE Score), USF Residency Program
- 2016 Seth Gasser Award (Highest OITE Score), USF Residency Program
- 2014 Charles Selah Award for Excellence in Surgery, UASOM Huntsville Campus
- 2013 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- 2011 Summer Trainee Fellowship to the NIH Summer Research Program
- 2011 Baptist Healthcare Foundation Scholarship ($1,000)
- 2010 Phi Beta Kappa Society
- 2010 Virginia Sigma Memorial Honor Scholarship ($3,000)
- 2006 – 2010 Honor Roll (GPA ³ 3.75), each semester of undergraduate education
- 2010 Psi Chi – International Honor Society in Psychology
- 2008 Alpha Epsilon Delta – Premedical Honor Society
- 2006 Upper School Award for Excellence in Science, Montgomery Academy
- Culotta BA, Gilbert SR, Sawyer JR, Ruth A, Sellers T. Weight gain during external fixation. J Child Orthop. 2013 Mar;7(2):147-150.
- Auston DA, Meiss J, Serrano R, Sellers T, Carlson G, Hoggard T, Beebe M, Quade J, Watson D, Simpson RB, Kistler B, Shah A, Sanders R, Mir HR. Percutaneous or open reduction of closed tibial shaft fractures during intramedullary nailing does not increase wound complications, infection or nonunion rates. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Apr;31(4):215-219.
- Tanner G, Simon P, Sellers T, Christmas KN, Otto RJ, Cuff DJ, Abdelfattah A, Mighell MA, Frankle MA. Total shoulder arthroplasty with minimum 5-year follow-up: Does the presence of subchondral cysts in the glenoid increase risk of failure? J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018 May;27(5):794-800.
- Sellers TR, Abdelfattah A, Frankle M. Massive rotator cuff tear: when to consider reverse shoulder arthroplasty. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2018 Mar;11(1):131-140.
- Allert JW, Sellers TR, Simon P, Christmas KN, Patel S, Frankle MA. Massive rotator cuff tear in patients older than sixty-five: indications for cuff repair versus reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. Am J Orthop. 2018 Dec;47(12).
- O’Briain DE, Simon P, Christmas KN, Diaz MA, Hess AV, Hernandez-Ortiz EG, Sellers T, McLendon PB, Mighell MA, Frankle MA. Do preoperative radiographs help predict intraoperative challenges in revision surgery after previous shoulder hemiarthroplasty? J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2019 Jun;28(6S):S161-67.
- Streufert BD, Eaford BS, Sellers TR, Christensen JT, Maxson B, Infante A, Shah A, Watson D, Sanders RW, Mir HR. Iatrogenic nerve palsy occurs with anterior and posterior approaches for humeral shaft fixation. J Orthop Trauma. 2020 Mar;34(3):163-168 12.
- Sellers TR, Lewis JT, Smith C, Nydick JA. Intramedullary headless screw fixation for metacarpal fractures. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2020 Jun 8;25(1):45-51.
- Lund EA, Busel GA, Sellers TR, Diaz MA. Interfragmentary positional screws maintain reduction and stiffness as well as lag screws following cyclic loading – a biomechanical study. Submitted for publication.
454 Taylor Road
Montgomery, AL 36117
668 McQueen Smith Road
Prattville, AL 36066
9 Cambridge Ct
Wetumpka, AL 36093